Ruby Ridge, Twent Four Years Later


This essay shall describe the horrific events that the Federal government carried out during the sieges against the Weaver family at Ruby Ridge, Idaho in late 1992 –just over 24 years ago. I was a child when this occurred, and I suppose that many young patriots do not remember it. I am writing this essay in part to keep the memory of Ruby Ridge alive.

Randy Weaver was a family man who decided that he wished to live a peaceful life separated from the religious, political, and cultural corruption that he saw destroying his country. In 1983 Randy and his wife Vicki decided to sell their home in Weaver’s birth state of Iowa and move to the Pacific northwest and homestead. They packed up their children Sara, Samuel, and Rachael and headed west to a new life of freedom!

The Weaver family decided to purchase a small piece of property in rural Idaho. According to Randy and Sara Weaver’s book The Federal Siege At Ruby Ridge, there is no “Ruby Ridge” on their land; their property lay in the area of Caribou Ridge and Ruby Creek Drainage; the name Ruby Ridge was fabricated by the press.

Randy and Vicki began to build a cabin and prepare a homestead like their pioneer ancestors had. They built their own house by hand, near a huge boulder that gave them a picturesque view of their driveway and the surrounding mountains.

While living at their cabin Vicki gave birth to a fourth child, Elisheba. The Weavers also befriended a young man named Kevin Harris who helped them build their cabin and who lived with them off and on for the next nine years.

The Weavers raised their food and homeschooled their children as had generations before them. They hunted and owned firearms for both food procurement and defense.

Mr. Weaver simply wanted to separate from what he believed to be error religiously, politically, and culturally. Part of Randy’s religious beliefs was that the races should not intermarry; this was peaceful separation, not hate.

Randy Weaver did attend a few meetings of an Aryan Nations group in Idaho which is where the serious trouble began for him. After being convinced to attend by an acquaintance named Frank, Randy took his family to the Aryan Nations World Congress held in Idaho in 1986, 87, and 89. Randy did not join and was only curious as to their beliefs.

Frank introduced Weaver to Gus, who happened to be an undercover government informant! Frank and Gus tried to involve Weaver in their supposed plans (sting operations) about attacking the government and raiding government arsenals, however Weaver refused to participate in any illegal activity. Weaver distanced himself from Frank and Gus, but they pursued him.

Gus made contact with Weaver and asked Randy to sell him some guns. As Randy was in a tight financial strait at the time he consented. The one problem is that Gus demanded Randy cut the shotgun barrels off ¼ inch shorter than the NFA specified legal limit -yes, just one quarter of an inch. (Note: The 2nd Amendment clearly protects all guns, the NFA 34 and all laws infringing upon the right are “null and void” as Justice Marshall put it; however, the government does currently enforce these illegal laws).

Randy cut off the barrels and sold Gus the two shotguns in late 1989, although he never received full payment. After this a man named Rico (another Federal informant) warned Randy that Gus was “dirty”.

In 1990 the head of the ATF office in Spokane, Washington threated to charge Weaver with multiple federal firearms violations IF Weaver would not go undercover for him as a snitch! Randy Weaver was a principled man and refused to inform on or entrap others.

It appears that the whole shotgun deal was an entrapment operation orchestrated to get leverage over Weaver and recruit him as an informant for the ATF.

In January 1991, Weaver and his wife (Vicki had done nothing) were arrested for the firearms charges when they stopped to help a stranded motorist-who was actually an undercover ATF agent waiting for them.

Weaver was released from custody after putting up his land for bail. Weaver was told that if he lost his case at trial that the government would take his land that he had put up for bail. (During Weaver’s post siege trial, the magistrate who told him that admitted in court that he gave Randy incorrect information).Vicki was released that day with no charges filed against her.

Randy’s trial was set for Feb. 19, 1990, but then the probation officer sent Randy a letter stating that the date was changed to March 20, 1990. However the letter was incorrect because the actual date was changed to Feb. 20, 1990-unknown to Weaver. When Randy did not show up for the Feb. 20th court date that he was unaware of, a local radio station broadcasted that Randy was like a “wild animal” up at his cabin on the mountain. The United States Attorney’s Office then officially indicted Randy for failure to appear six days before the March 20th date that he was told to appear!

At this point Randy realized that he had been befriended by a Fed snitch, lied to, entrapped, indicted, legally railroaded, and forced into signing over his home for bail to avoid pretrial incarceration. Not having the money to flee or a place to go, Randy made the decision to stay up on the mountain and ignore the government that had set him up.

Eventually the U.S. Marshalls Service began a camouflage wearing, machinegun carrying, covert surveillance mission of the Weaver property and the surrounding area. It all began to unravel as little Samuel and his dog stumbled across this federal “surveillance”.

On August 21, 1992 fourteen year old Samuel Weaver’s yellow Labrador Striker began barking and Samuel and family friend Kevin Harris believed that Striker had caught the scent of a deer or other animal; Samuel and Kevin decided to follow Striker into the woods while Randy walked down an unused logging road that was parallel to Samuel and Kevin’s path.

After an alleged confrontation with Striker, a U.S. Marshall shot and killed Striker while Striker was running away. Then there was an exchange of gunfire between the marshalls and Samuel and Kevin. Little Samuel Weaver was killed by a shot in the back as he was fleeing; his right arm was almost blown off from a second shot. A U.S. Marshall named William Degan was killed in this exchange. Kevin was unwounded. Randy Weaver did not fire a shot at anyone on this or any other occasion; he was not part of the gun battle.

After this stunning event Randy and Vicki walked down to the murder site and retrieved their son Samuel’s body and brought him to a shed near their cabin. The U.S. Marshalls got all freaked out that Degan was killed and called in the elite, paramilitary FBI Hostage Rescue Team (HRT). National Guard troops were also summoned to Ruby Ridge to assist the federal agents; this was a violation of the principle of separation of the military and police forces that America had long enjoyed.  The federal agents then laid siege to the terrified Weaver homestead.

Unknown to the Weaver family, the government was telling the Federal agents lies about Randy’s supposed dangerousness. They were making legally baseless and factually incorrect allegations that Randy might have booby trapped or dug tunnels over his property and that he was connected to a string of bank robberies; all of this was false.

The government then instituted new, unprecedented, and un-Constitutional “Rules of Engagement” for the siege on the Weavers.

These stunning rules declared that (1) any armed adult male could be shot before a surrender announcement was given if the children would not be endangered by the shot, (2) any adult observed armed after the surrender announcement was made could be shot, (3) if compromised by an animal the animal should be killed, and (4) subjects other than Randy, Kevin, and Vicki could be shot if they were presenting a threat to themselves or another.

Carefully consider these rules. The government issued kill on sight orders for any adult male at any time (expect during surrender), any armed adult after a refusal to surrender, and any child who was a “threat” to themselves or others. These rules disregard the 5th Amendment right to life. Also, does the bizarre statement of no. 4 (a threat to themselves) mean the Federal agents were authorized to kill a child who was attempting to commit suicide?

The government wanted nothing but death at Ruby Ridge. After Ruby Ridge, the United States Senate did an investigation of the Ruby Ridge incident and released a report that harshly condemned these rules of engagement and other federal actions at Ruby Ridge (these rules are covered on pages 127-32 of The Federal Siege At Ruby Ridge). No Federal agent or official ever took responsibility for approving these modified rules of engagement.

On August 22 Randy, Sara, and Kevin ventured outside when their dogs began whimpering; when they saw no one around Randy decided to go to the shed and check on Samuel’s body. Unknown to them, a FBI sniper by the name of Lon Tomohisa Horiuchi lay in weight with an optically sighted, .308 caliber, sniper rifle. Randy was shot once in the back by a round that penetrated his shoulder.

After being shot, Randy fled to the house with his daughter Sara pushing him and Kevin following behind them. Unarmed, Vicki Weaver was standing in the doorway holding the door open while also holding her 10 month old daughter Elisheba in her arms.

As Kevin entered the doorway Horiuchi fired a second shot that hit Vicki in the head and then grievously wounded Kevin in the chest. Vicki was instantly killed and her little daughter Elisheba was covered in her mother’s blood and bone fragments.

The sniper who fired these shots was Lon Tomohisa Horiuchi, a West Point graduate and former U.S. Army officer who had been with the FBI for years. This man (correction: male) was willing to kill an unarmed mother, and risk killing her children with the same round, to carry out illegal shoot-on-sight orders based on a supposed minor weapons violation. Horiuchi later claimed that he didn’t see Vicki and was aiming at Kevin Harris, however this was impossible based upon the geometry of the people/doorway and the curtains being open.

Horiuchi was charged with manslaughter for the killing of Vicki Weaver by an Idaho county court; the federal government removed State jurisdiction and placed the case in Federal court –at which point (in 1998) the Feds dismissed the case under the “supremacy clause”, claiming that Federal agents are immune from prosecution for carrying out their duties in a reasonable way. Even the Redcoats involved in the Boston Massacre were tried, but not Lon Horiuchi. This was a very dark day for the USA.

After the shots fired at Randy and Vicki, the government laid siege to the Weaver house and drove an APC around their yard and harassed them with lights and sound recordings. The Federal agents attempted to make contact by sending a 750 pound robot equipped with a telephone-and a shotgun pointed at whoever would pick up the phone! Needless to say, Randy was not stupid enough to pick up the phone.

Eventually Randy yelled to them that he would talk to well-known patriot (and highly decorated former Green Beret officer) Colonel Bo Gritz. On August 31st, Gritz convinced Weaver to surrender.

Randy Weaver and Kevin Harris were arrested and the girls were placed in the care of their grandparents. The nightmare was almost over.

Weaver and Harris were placed on trial. Harris was acquitted of all charges and Weaver was convicted only of failure to appear. Yes, Randy was not convicted for the original ¼” too short shotgun charge that stared this whole ball rolling downhill. The government settled a civil lawsuit with the Weaver family for the death of Vicki, but Horiuchi was never tried for his crime.

During the Weaver/Harris trial, the Federal government burned down the church at Mt. Carmel, violently ending the siege at Waco, Texas. Over 80 men, women, and children perished in the Waco atrocity. FBI sniper Lon Horiuchi was also present at Waco. The government was on a rampage at that time in our nation’s history.

In 2014, things heated up a bit when a Nevada rancher named Cliven Bundy was involved in a dispute over grazing rights on federal land near his ranch. (For those unaware, the federal government owns absolutely HUGE swaths of land out west –often managed by the Forrest service and the Bureau of Land Management {BLM}).

A huge amount of patriots converged on the Bundy ranch to offer assistance to Cliven, to guard his ranch from a federal raid, and to ensure that it did not turn into another Ruby Ridge! I remember listening to Mark Koernke’s patriot internet radio broadcast, The Intelligence Report, when this was going down, and I thought that America might be near the tipping point to revolution if the government went too far.

Eventually, the government backed off and Cliven got back his cattle that the government had rounded up, but did not win his point legally.

In early January 2016, a group of men led by Ammon Bundy, a son of Cliven Bundy, began a sit-in/occupation of the federally owned Malheur National Wildlife refuge in Oregon.

This armed occupation of the Malheur Refuge was done as a protest against the unjust jailing of two Oregon ranchers, father and son Dwight and Steven Hammond, and over federal ownership and control of lands inside the territory of a state. The occupiers of the Malheur seemed to be primarily of the Mormon faith.

For those unaware, cattle still graze on federal lands, just as they did in the days of the old west. The state sometimes demands grazing fees. I have personally seen free range cattle grazing on federal land in the woods of the Mogollon Rim in Arizona in the late summer of 2012.

On January 26, 2016 several of the occupiers of the Malheur Refuge left the property and begun traveling to a nearby town for a meeting, at which point they were ambushed by state and federal agents on a snowy mountain road. As events degraded Robert “LaVoy” Finicum –who was not visually armed, let alone attacking anyone- exited his vehicle and was shot to death by government agents. The vehicle, which had not engaged government authorities, was allegedly under fire when LaVoy exited to save his passenger’s lives by personally surrendering.

Cliven Bundy was arrested at the airport as he sought to travel to Malheur. The remaining occupiers surrendered to the government after LaVoy Finicum’s murder. The government’s message was clear: cross the state and you die.

The same government who murdered Vicki and Samuel Weaver killed –without any cause- Robert “LaVoy” Finicum during the events at the occupation of the federal Malhauer Wildlife Refuge in Oregon in January 2016. How many more innocent American patriots will die before the American people awaken?

As things continue to deteriorate, some patriots believe that we will see another government rampage against innocent Americans –perhaps even martial law and the extinguishment of liberty.

Copyright © 2016 by Joseph Charles Putnam of Orange County, Indiana. All rights reserved.


Author: Joe Putnam

I am a Christian (Reformed/Sovereign Grace Baptist type), white American of Western European bloodline, advocate of an agrarian social order, Kinist, White Nationalist, admirer of America’s Founding Fathers and the Boys in Gray, homesteader, indie published author, and amateur historian. I have indie published several books, all of which are available from Amazon. I am a life long resident of rural Orange County, IN –in the part of the Upper South that many would term Greater Appalachia or the Dixie Frontier. In addition to my own blog, I am a contributor to the multi-author blog Identity Dixie. I am active in promotion of the Alt-South movement. In addition to my blog writings, I am currently gearing up for (at least) two more book projects –one theological and one historical. The theological one will cover the three interpretational views of Daniel’s 70th Week. I hope to have this book in print in late summer 2017. (Hint: I am, not a Dispensational Futurist). The historical book will be a biography of George Rogers Clark (1752-1818). Clark was a noted Virginia militia officer who’s campaigns, including his successful siege of Vincennes, basically took the Old Northwest from Britain during the American Revolution. Clark spent the rest of his life around the river that separates Clarksville, IN from Louisville, Kentucky. I hope to have my Clark bio in print in early 2018.

1 thought on “Ruby Ridge, Twent Four Years Later”

  1. The Federal “setup” of Randy Weaver was quite possibly a PATCON operation. In the 1980s the FBI moved to right wing organizations to infiltrate and make use of provocateurs in order break up these groups. What is clear is Randy Weaver was to be used in order to infiltrate the Aryan Nations.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s